Friday, July 10, 2009

Poke

So I went to hawaii 3 months ago to visit my long time brother Jon. Yes, mainly to surf but more so to get away from my life at home. But another huge reason was to discover different culture and lifestyle while i suck down Kona beer in midday on waikiki strip. From silver statues trying to hustle the average joe tourist to the all but pretty tokyo women walking around in striped shirts like they own the world. Wheres the japanese waldo? There she is..But that is besides the case. I learned that you are never to far from the mediocre food you see at home that you were trying to escape. Yes they have Walmart in Hawaii...I mean Oahu...I mean practically in the redlight district of Waikiki. Oh and did I mention the brand new Target with a shining Pizza Hut express. The majority of Waikiki is Japanese, A lot of Japanese. So many my brothers G/F is well Okinawan. I'd imagine I would have the same reaction if I actually were in Japan. But don't be bothered, take advantage of it. Yes the local grind is good, but its the hole in the wall poke shop with the little old Japanese lady that made it worth the thousand mile flight. P.S. most of it talking to a shaman. As you walk into the poke shop off Kapahulu rd. you can't help but notice the hard work that this veteran Obachan has poured into her business and way of making money. She says only a few words and than your off, steaming rice with cold perfectly seasoned poke. Poke for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

No comments: